Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Going Green

But I'm not talking about being environmentally friendly.

Guess who's jealous:  Bernice!   She's the youngest machine I have, so she's a little immature.  She doesn't think it's fair that I introduced my readers to Kenny and The Diva and haven't mentioned her yet.   I guess she just doesn't get the age before beauty concept!  I better introduce her before she throws a fit.




Say hello to Bernice . . .



and her sidekick, Emma, the embroidery module.

Now, I'm not going to tell you much about them because let's face it, these days there's nothing too special about a computerized sewing machine with a few bells and whistles.  (Shhh . . . don't tell them I said that.)

But they do have a friend I'll tell you about.  His name is Jerry.  Jerry Rigged.


This is Jerry's story.

Years ago, before he was Jerry, he was just a table built by my brother, Ronald.  He's not all that handsome but  he's very sturdy. (Hey, I'm talking about Jerry, not Ron!)
He ended up in the basement here and Dad put a different top on him so Mom could use him for her upholstery projects.

Fast forward to a couple years ago.   I was needing a flatbed sewing table.  And this table was just hanging out downstairs.  I realized that it could have a new lease on life - it could be Jerry Rigged!



First, I had my very handy brother-in-law, Gary, cut a big hole and add a platform for Bernice to sit on.



With a little trial and error, he made sure there was room for the cords . . .



and fit the curve of the flatbed insert.


  

No, it wasn't a perfect fit.   
There was just enough of a gap here that stuff was slipping down in, especially when piecing.



This little adaptation helps a lot.  It's just a 2x4 covered with the same contact paper that I used for the rest of the top. 

 (Yes, I know.   That paper is a little frilly looking.  Jerry knows how to embrace his feminine side).



And that board comes in handy when Bernie and Em want to play together.




One other hole was needed - for the knee lift.


Oh, and a few other little touches.   There's a little hook there for a trash bag.

And see all those cords?



I attached a power strip to the side.



And last, but not least, I added a little spot for my scissors.


Overall, Jerry has been working out wonderfully.  The one drawback has been lack of access for changing the bobbin.  I have to slide the insert off to get to it.


But there's nothing like having a large, flat, sturdy area surrounding your machine, especially when free-motion quilting.  And I'm sure Bernice appreciates having the support of such a good friend too.

(Just so you're clear - Bernice doesn't need to know that this post was really about Jerry.)

No comments:

Post a Comment