Friday, October 19, 2012

What Would You Do For A . . .

. . .  quilt?   You thought I was going to say Klondike Bar, didn't you?

No, I have a little story about a quilt.  And it's true!  Hmm.  Let's see - should I give you the full story or a shortened version?  Well, since my last two posts were more pictures than words, I'm going to risk being word heavy on this one.

First, a little background.  Sometime last year, my sister, Pamela, and I were looking through the fabrics on the sale table at Pacific Fabrics.  She likes to look for ugly weird unusual fabrics and imagine what someone could do with it.


This one caught our eyes.  Yes - those are green and brown fern fronds on a background of purple with little blue dots.  The challenge was on!

We scouted out some coordinating pieces, only guessing how much to get because, of course, we had no plan or pattern in mind.

Then Pam ordered me to take it home and make something beautiful suggested that I take it and see what I could come up with.


What do you think?  Did I succeed?

Well, I didn't need anybody else's approval (this time) because I loved the way it turned out!  I've always liked the kaleidoscope block - there are infinite possibilities just with color placement.

Okay.  So, finished quilt = end of story?  Nope.

When I took it to quilting group for show-n-tell, one of the young ladies really, REALLY liked it.  Unfortunately, we had already decided that it would be a Made With Love* donation.  We started joking about how she needed to be old, sick, pregnant, or to break a leg in order to get it.  Can you guess what happened next in this quilt story?  Thankfully, she didn't break any bones.  But she did become pregnant!  With major morning sickness!!  With TWINS!!!  No, she didn't do this to get it but there was no doubt about it - she deserved this quilt!

Okay, let's all sing:   What would you do-oo-oo for a Klondike Bar?!

*Made With Love is an outreach group associated with First Free Methodist Church in Seattle.

3 comments:

  1. LOL!!! LOVE this story! AND I know she will enjoy that beautiful (thought extraordinary) quilt...it turned out beautifully. I personally didn't think it could have with only that first picture showing the palm fronds on PURPLE!! You did a great job! Congratulations to the new mommy!!
    Blessings, Doni

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoops, I got so taken up with the story about the quilt that I forgot to thank you for your comment on my blog post! I love Cowper hymns...his words are fantastic and so true.
    THanks so much for visiting!
    Doni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And Cowper's life story makes those words even more amazing.
      Thanks for stopping by and for your kind words!
      Lorraine

      Delete