Monday, October 15, 2012

The Diva

Interesting!  I just looked up the word diva (oh how I enjoy looking up words) and I was surprised.
Raise your hand if that word has a negative connotation for you.  It does for me.  Yet, it wasn't until I went to the fourth site, after checking out Wikipedia, Dictionary.com and Merriam-Webster, that I found any reference to the downside of being a diva.  Of course we all know this term's deep connection with the world of opera.  And there are some classic examples of notoriously naughty divas:


How about Carlotta, from Phantom?



And if you expand to include SOAP operas, well . . . Erica Kane.

Enough said!







Okay, so where am I going with all of this?  Well, I needed a name for a newly acquired sewing machine.  Let me introduce you to her.



Meet the Diva!

I suppose you're wondering how I came up with the name.  Well, first off, she's a Singer!  At one time, Singers were well respected in the sewing machine world.  That's the positive side of her name.




The negative side:  she's a bit temperamental!  She tends to have an "all or nothing"  attitude when it comes to speed.  A little coaxing is usually required.   Oh, and she is quite noisy, which fits the naughty diva stereotype.

Maybe a little spa treatment oiling will put her in a better mood and mellow her out.



And surely some new shoes feet couldn't hurt!

2 comments:

  1. My very 1st sewing machine was this model! It brings back memories of learnng to sew. A few years ago I was moving across several states & sold it at a yard sale. By then I had a newer machine & never used it. Moving is always a great opportunity to "downsize". Origionally I think I paid about $50 for the machine,I thing in the early 70s & sold it for $25. It was a work horse.In the 20+ years I sewed with it, it was only professionally cleaned 1 time. I never had any problems with it.

    I wish I had kept it, but you can't keep everything you ever own. Enjoy your new old Singer!

    ReplyDelete