Wednesday, October 17, 2012

The Last Rose of Summer

The Last Rose of Summer by Thomas Moore





'Tis the last rose of summer






left blooming alone; 





All her lovely companions





are faded and gone.





No flower of her kindred,





No rosebud is nigh,




To reflect back her blushes,




To give sigh for sigh.




I'll not leave thee, thou lone one!





To pine on the stem;




Since the lovely are sleeping,




Go, sleep thou with them.




Thus kindly I scatter




Thy leaves o'er the bed,




Where thy mates of the garden






Lie scentless and dead.

3 comments:

  1. now I don't know if those words are the words to the SONG Last Rose of Summer, but the music is lovely too...My mother has a HUGE music box that plays HUGE metal discs with rectangular holes in it...and the music box is incredible sounding. So full and lively. This song is my favorite one!
    Thanks for sharing such beautiful photos!
    Doni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, those are the first two verses.
      The roses are some that my mom has had for many years. Whenever I see roses blooming at this time of year it makes me think of this song.

      Delete
  2. this is so sad but pretty at the same time!

    ReplyDelete