Monday, August 20, 2012

Going Old School

I could also have titled this post Ode to a Machine, but ultimately, it's about the dream of a studio space becoming a reality.  The idea of having a place for everything and everything in its place. . .and task oriented areas, tools and machines.  And with the help of an old friend, I'm one step closer to that reality.

This unassuming little cabinet houses a blast from my past.



It was purchased, brand new,  in 1951.



The year before they were married, mom and dad went down to
Sears, Roebuck and Co. to buy it.



This is the first machine my three sisters and I ever used.  



In addition to countless everyday garments, all four of us made our wedding dresses using this machine.


Mom also used it for many upholstery projects.  (And I'm not talking about a cushion here and a footstool there.  I think she recovered our couch at least four times over the years, and so many chairs I'm sure she lost count.)  She always used to talk about how well it handled the heavy upholstery fabrics.



Nothing fancy here; no bells or whistles, just forward and reverse.   We're talking Old School.  But what a workhorse!  



Over the last 5-10 years it has seen very little use. So I decided that it needed to come out of retirement and become my dedicated-to-piecing machine.  I also decided it needed a name.  I'm going to call him Kenny.  Not very original, I know.  


Last week's BHS raffle quilt was the first to get Kenny's Old School treatment.  



I think Kenny's happy to be in service once again.  And of course, Eb and Flo are happy to give him a warm welcome.

1 comment:

  1. Why Kenny? Wait I just figured it out it's a Kenmore! Clever, but I think Kenneth is more fitting for it's age!

    ReplyDelete