Sunday, August 19, 2012

A Little Geography Lesson

There is a country called Procrastination.  It's located just north of a country called The Last Minute, of which I am Queen!

The Bothell High School All Alumni Picnic took place today, starting at 11:00 am.

When did I finish the raffle quilt?

Today.

About . . . let's see . . . around . . .10:30 am.

Hail to the Queen!

But finish it, I did.  And I must say, I was overwhelmed by the positive reaction!  




As I was working on it, more than once I wondered if anyone would even want to win it.  I'd ask myself questions:  is it too simplistic;  is it too corny;  is it too feminine;  is it too homemade looking;  etc.

I think I've come to accept this as a normal part of the process.

When your focus is so "up close and personal", it's hard not to notice every mistake deviation from perfection.  It's not until you step back, get a little distance, that you can begin to see it as it really is.

And begin to like love it.



Of course, I could have just asked Flo.



She loved it every chance she got!










In the end,  I was well pleased.

Some things I like about it:  I think the gradation turned out nicely.  I alway struggle with random.


There are three complete repeats of the Alma mater.  I was worried I'd get to the bottom and have to stop in the middle.  I was also quite proud of how little ripping out had to be done.  I usually leave out a letter and/or word here and there.  


I like how the back turned out.  Being a '76 grad, I had to include a little reference to the Bicentennial.  (Our class had the privilege of adding red gowns to the usual blue and white ones for graduation. We're special!)  


But, I think this is my favorite part.

Oh, by the way, the winners were very pleased.  I took a picture of them with the quilt but forgot to ask their permission to use it on my blog.  I'm sure they'd be ok with it but I think I'll err on the safe side and not post it.

6 comments:

  1. That is SO cool! I want one of McGuirk! Loving the random gradation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome quilt! All hail to the queen. Thanks so much for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This quilt is fantastic! I love the colour graduation and your quilting is brilliant. Your general process of quilt making - procrastination and doubt etc - sounds a lot like mine!

    ReplyDelete