Monday, August 6, 2012

Beating the Heat

Okay, I admit that 88-90 degrees doesn't qualify as extreme weather in  some  many  most people's minds.  However, around here it doesn't happen very often so when it does, it is  unbearable  noticed.  This latest warm spell brought to mind a few (and I do mean few) memories.  Pardon me while I reminisce.  I remember - having to sleep without covers at night; the butter, which was kept in the cupboard, reduced to a soft, sloppy heap; being able to wear real summer clothes in the shade; walking down the middle of the road on the white line to avoid burning our feet on the asphalt; being able to stay out on the ferry deck without getting chilled.
 That memory of a ferry ride during a heat wave back in the early 80s is what prompted yesterday's outing.



Lunch was first on the agenda.  This was my view . . .

. . . while I ate this, a tasty Mediterranean Veggie sandwich from Panera.


Next, a walk down the beach to get to the ferry.   As I was walking I heard a beautiful bird song that I didn't recognize.  Although I was able to spot it, I still was unable to identify it.  Any ideas anyone?

Walking up the enclosed ramp to the ferry, this window caught my attention.  It was almost like a sparkly work of art.
Safety glass is just the coolest!

It was quite challenging taking pictures:  lacking skill, good equipment and  20/20 eyesight, however, I did my best to get a few shots.  Looking north,  Mount Baker is seen (just barely) on the horizon.

Looking south, we have Mount Rainier.  Really, it was there, right above that ferry.  Just like this.  Well, not exactly like that.  It was a bit hazy yesterday but The Mountain actually was visible.

Knowing I wasn't going to have much success with the long distance shots, I decided to try something closer.   And, for me, a little more nerve-wracking.  I have a little problem with heights, so looking over the edge was not so fun.  Mostly, I just stuck my arm out and hoped for the best.

I like the play of the light on the water.



The churning is fun to watch, but a little scary too.



There's something about being above a bird in flight that I find fascinating.

And I find wave patterns interesting.

But I'm in awe when I think about all that is going on under the surface.  A whole world of creatures, living unobserved by the unequipped eye.  I did get to see some jellyfish and several porpoises, but only because they were near the surface.

What a wonderful way to spend a warm afternoon!

1 comment: