Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Commission, Create, Complete - part 3

The Story of a Quilt:  Complete

com-plete  (kuhm-pleet)  vb. 1. to make whole or entire.  2.  to bring to an end; finish.

Warning:  If you're like me, you will not want to read this post until you've read parts 1 and 2.  Do I read the inside flap of a book? Nope (sometimes I even cover up the next page to keep from accidentally getting a glimpse).  Do I "stay tuned for scenes from our next episode" on T.V.?  Not if I can help it  (quick! where's the remote?).   Yeah, I know, it's a little excessive, but I like the story to unfold sequentially.  
And for this story, we're at the beginning of the end.




Having made the quilt sandwich, it was time to do the quilting.  If you've read the previous posts you may remember seeing    in a few places.
Time for an explanation.
When I had Googled Chuck Norris I came across this site: Chuck Norris Facts.   I knew immediately how I would make use of this.  Have you figured it out?  I wrote Chuck Norris Facts all across the background. 
 I've become a fan of quilting in cursive.  It's so much easier than it looks.  Since our brains and hands already know how to form the letters, moving a pen over paper, it easily transfers to the moving of fabric under the needle.  Don't believe me?
Try it.  I bet you'll do great (Of course if you have lousy penmanship to begin with...all bets are off)!
The hardest part of writing is being careful not to leave out letters or words.  This was a time when I definitely couldn't listen to anything that had lyrics!
  
When I got to the end of one fact, I stitched a star and then started on the next one.

On Chuck, I quilted just to give a little detail.  The border quilting was inspired by the stars and stripes fabric: stripes on the sides and stars in the corners.


Sorry for the picture quality.  One thing I'm not is a photographer!  However, if you click on the picture it shows up much better.


Before moving on to the end of the end, I spent a little time burying thread tails.  I don't always do it this way, but this time I didn't want a lot of thread build-up at the starts and stops.    Using self-threading needles makes it pretty easy.



Well, I could put it off no longer.  It was time for the part of the whole process that I like the least.  I didn't even think of taking a picture of it because by the time I get to the (heavy sigh) binding, I'm just ready to be done!  And as many times as I've put on a binding, it never ceases to amaze me just how long it takes me to sew it down on the back.  Sometimes I do it by machine, but I think it just looks best if I do it by hand.

Okay, Chuck was ready for a little fresh air.
Chuck was presented to Ethan at his graduation party and, I'm pleased to say, it was a big hit.

The End.

1 comment:

  1. This is the first time I've seen the final product, and it's AMAZING! Can you make me a Bruce Lee quilt?

    ReplyDelete