Monday, June 11, 2012

Commission, Create, Complete - part 2b

The Story of a Quilt:  Create

cre-ate: (kree eyt) v.  2.  to evolve from one's own thought or imagination, as a work of art or an invention.

Ok, time for a little background.




Background music.  I rarely quilt without it.  I'm so glad my son told me about Spotify.  It's so easy to pick a genre to go with the kind of work I'm doing.  For instance, while I was doing the mindless piecing of the red background, I listened to a lot of Bing Crosby or Ella Fitzgerald. Love me some sing-along!  But when I needed my brain, I most often had Satie playing.  He's so undemanding.
Background air.  Yes, I know this little guy looks odd, but you would too if you were as overworked as he was.  He has a bit of a loose connection and needs some help to keep going.  And he's just what I need to keep me going during my hotflashes power surges.
And how about a background for Chuck!


                             Piece by piece 

Nearly 200 rectangles in about
20 different fabrics.


                                    Row by row

I had to add four rows to make it longer.  It's 
amazing how much the seam allowances take up!

A place for Chuck


HA!  I put Chuck in his place AND put a hot iron to his face!

Added a couple borders and then moved on to the backing.
I didn't take pictures of the process of coming up with this design but it, too, had to evolve.  Kind of looks like Eb's just relieved to get the whole ordeal over with.
I could have done a simpler back but I've kind of developed a reputation in our quilting group.  And all I did was put a little something different on the back of one or two of my quilts and the next thing you know, they expect hope to see something different every time.  They are so demanding supportive like that!

I'll end the Create part of this quilt story here.  Next time, I'll share about taking what I've created and turning it into a completed quilt.

Time for a sandwich!  (And definitely hold the mayo!)

No comments:

Post a Comment