Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Who's That Knocking At My Door?

I should probably start a recurring post called Tangent Tuesday.  Although, I don't know if I could confine it to one day a week.  It seems to happen quite often.  Today's post was intended to show off my new door but the title above immediately sent me off on a tangent.  And that's where I'm going to start, so if you want to skip to the door you'll have to go to the next page.

back,  l-r:  Uncle Maurice, Aunt Ruth, Mom, Dad, Me.
front l-r:  Great-aunt Amy, Great-aunt Ruth, Aunt Carol, Aunt Miriam.
The little lady in the red coat was my great-aunt Ruth.  We refer to her as "Little Auntie Ruth" to differentiate her from our Aunt Ruth, mom's sister.  Confused yet?

Two of my six siblings, Susan and Brian.





Little Auntie Ruth used to live in this little trailer on our property, right next to our house, from the early 60s to 1971, the year she died.  There are lots of memories I could share about her, but the one that connects this tangent to my door is the way she answered her door. When we knocked, she would come to the door singing this  little ditty:




I've asked around to see if anyone knows where it came from but it was probably something she just made up.

Okay, that's the tangent.  Now, the door.





This door has seen nearly fifty years of service in this house.  I decided a replacement was in order.



So it was out with the old.  That was the easy part.



In with the new.  Sounds easy but there were a few challenges.



One of those challenges was getting a standard size door to fit in a non-standard opening.  A little chipping, a little sawing and it fit like a glove.




Well, not quite.  That's okay.  A little foam insulation will take care of that.



Maybe a little too much?



Definitely too much!



The last issue to address will be a door stop to keep it from hitting this wall.  Or, (light bulb), I could remove the wall and build a cute little sunken courtyard and . . . one tangent per post is probably a good rule.

So, back to the door.  While the cats will not be crossing this threshold very often, I'm hoping to have lots of human visitors in the future.



And when they knock on my door, I'm hoping to carry on the tradition of my Little Auntie Ruth.

Now, if you skipped the first page and don't know what that tradition was, I guess you'll just have to go back and look.  You know you're curious!

2 comments:

  1. I remember that song, it goes something like this: who's that knocking at my door, who's that knocking at my door cried the fair young maiden. Where it comes from I don't know, maybe try Googling it. LOL! Auntie Ruth sounds like she was a character. Nice door, BTW.

    ReplyDelete