Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Snow Crystal Quilt


Yes, I know it's the middle of March.
No, this post isn't about snow.
Well, not exactly.



I recently posted to FB a picture of this quilt I did several years ago. 
Someone asked about the pattern and I decided it would make a good blog post.  
So, here goes.

I love snowflakes! 
(Did you know that the ones you see falling from the sky are actually little clumps of snow crystals stuck together?  I learned a lot from this site:  http://snowflakebentley.com/

And I like decorating according to the seasons.

So, of course, a snow crystal quilt just made sense.

These three books provided inspiration.
Snowflakes by Paula Nadelstern is a gorgeous book. Her intricate work is amazing.
More Biblical Quilt Blocks by Rosemary Makhan gives directions for thirty two different blocks and shows various settings. I used one of these blocks as the starting point.
Kaleidoscope ABCs by Marti Michell features tools and techniques that give interesting results.




One of those tools is called Magic Mirrors. You can buy it from a store, or, if you're cheap you can make your own! All you need is two pieces of mirror with at least two straight sides each and some tape. Make sure to leave a gap at the join so there's room for it to bend.








The mirrors are placed on a picture or fabric to preview what it will look like repeated in the round. By changing the angle of the mirrors, you can get different effects.

I think auditioning the different blocks was the funnest part of the entire project. However, it also proved to be the most challenging because eventually one must make a choice. How does one decide when the possibilities are endless?









I finally decided Garden Walk would work nicely.



Here it is with the mirrors. Nice and pointy.





The next step was fabric choice. Using the mirrors again, I played around with little pieces until I got the lights and darks just right.

Looks a little strange, doesn't it?

It's going to get worse before it gets better.




I have to admit, it was kind of weird cutting into newly constructed blocks like this, but I needed 60 degree wedges, not squares.

Precision at this point is essential. Seams need to line up, and the wedge has to be the right size for the quilt to lay flat.






Let's take another look at the finished product. Can you see the wedges?


I used the same dark blue from the blocks to fill it out to a rectangle and then added borders.




The quilting was done with three different kinds of thread - regular, rayon and metallic.

Most was done free-motion, the exception being the skinny border on which I used one of my machine's decorative stitches.


I must confess, I feel proud.
I think this is as close as I've come to an original idea. 

Now, maybe I should try for a flower?

3 comments:

  1. This is just so cool! I have to try it! I have done tons of Stack 'n Whack, took a weekend workshop with a teacher who was certified by Paula herself to teach Paula's kaleidoscope technique, and a year or two after the workshop, I got to go to a lecture by Paula herself when she was a presenter at the guild of the big city near my home. So I do love kaleidoscopes. I never have seen or thought of cutting a block into a wedge! Have put those mirrors on many things; as you said, 'the possibilities are endless' and, I think, absolutely fascinating. Found your thumbnail on Confessions when I was checking updates for H2H. :-) Had to investigate, even though I did not take part in the linky this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That turned out so awesome! I especially like that it has six points. Very attractive snowflake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!!! Complicated! Pretty sure I wouldn't have the patience to do that. Shocker. ;)

    ReplyDelete